Pianero and Cachimbo Queen

Monday, April 25, 2005

Follow up

So after all that talk about the inappropriateness of our music in Church we went and played really well yesterday. There were only four of us there so the music had to be kept a little soft in order for us to sing over it. We made no mistakes with the entries, played no wrong chords (well I did play the wrong note on the bass twice in the same song but it was the 7th so it didn't sound like a mistake per se), and our harmonies were on. We sang the songs in clean hamonies with simple music and it worked really well. If things were always like that I wouldn't feel bad. Our "concertist" did have a solo song but since the rest of the Mass was toned down it didn't feel as inappropriate. He did it for meditation and it's a song with lovely Christian lyrics. Even I sang solo! I wasn't even nervous. Thanks, Toprol!

I think the major difference is that for the first time in a while it did feel "Godly".

I thought about the whole thing more over the last few days. Personally singing Bach chorales in Mass would be the ultimate for me, but I know that a lot of people wouldn't share that opinion with me. In the same way maybe I need to be more open minded and give our music more credit. Just like I like something that others might not appreciate the same thing could be going on in our Mass. Admittedly, I think the majority of the people go for the wrong reason, but there really are some people who are genuinely touched by our "noise".

The only problem is that with our music being catchy we tend to be the place where the people who go for the wrong reasons flock to. If you're going to church to not pay attention (for show), would you go to the "boring" Mass or the one with upbeat, catchy music. You'd go to ours. So we end up with the highest concentration of people going for the wrong reason and then we're blamed for it. They are not going with the right intention and then being distracted by us. A lot are going for the wrong reasons in the first place. Unfortunately we make that easier for them I guess.

Ok not sure if I'm making sense but just wanted to mention this. This won't be the end of the topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home