Pianero and Cachimbo Queen

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Habemus papam

Here are two articles in which our new pope discussed the role of music in the liturgy:

Article 1
Article 2

I'm not pleased that they decided to go conservative in their vote. But let's put aside all the big issues like abortion, birth control, and homosexuality. One thing that our new pope has also said no to is "rock music". And that, my friends, has a more direct impact in my life.

For the past 13 years I've been a member of Incarnation's "charismatic" choir. I began attending that Mass sometime in high school mainly because I had made friends with people who attended it. Deep down, I still enjoyed the more mellow English Masses better and I still do. But the music downstairs was catchy and the community that attended that mass was very tight knit. As someone who was having trouble fitting in at that point in time, it seemed like a good match for me.

Our original director was very charismatic (as in friendly). What he lacked in musical abilities he made up for with a wonderful personality and kind heart. Under him our music was clean and simple. We did play some "folk" rhythms like merengue and salsa but it never seemed over the top. He also liked some of the more traditional hymns as well. Our instrumentation back then was a guitar, bass, and percussion. Sometimes we also had a keyboardists and a drummer. There were 3-6 female singers and about 2-4 male singers.

Eventually our director had to leave our church because he relocated. By that time my now husband and I were in a relationship. I had just graduated as a Music major and JC has started gigging in merengue bands. We became the de facto new musical directors. Because of the informal transition we were never seen as true authority figures to the rest of the group. Slowly but surely it became ruled by committee. The people with the strongest voices and the more aggressive personalities began to exert the most influence. They wanted the music to become more sophisticated and knew we had the ability to take it up a few notches. They wanted to get more solo songs. They wanted to say little prayers before they began their songs. Intoxicated by the music making, we went along with them. But deep down I've never been comfortable with the changes. I've always felt that we were becoming too strong of a focus. Rather than being background music for the Mass we had become the "stars". I feel that the only reason no one in power (i.e. the priests or pastor) has said anything is that the music has drawn a ton of people to the Mass. It is probably the most highly attended Mass in the parish. People enjoy the music because it brings them back to their home country (usually DR). This type of movement is very popular back there were the Catholic church is dwindling due to Protestant proselytizing.

Sometime last year I realized that I had become quite disconnected from the Church. I've been going every Sunday but feeling kind of empty. I had started to feel uncomfortable with the "noise" that we were producing. Sure it was nice music, but is it really appropriate for Church? Are we hindering people's faith experience instead of aiding it? I've been worried that we've become a distraction. Or worse still, a vehicle for sensationalism.

So (skim) reading Ratzinger's articles has hit a nerve. Not really because I disagree with him. But more because I find myself agreeing with some of it. This is disturbing to me.

(Ugh I don't have my MLA handbook so ignore the funky quotes.)

Ratzinger:
"Rock" . . . is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the experience of being part of a crowd and by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe.

Harrison:
What is this other than a new form of idolatry? The folly of trying to attract young people to the Church by integrating 'rock' and similarly debased forms of music into her liturgical expressions should be obvious.

It sounds so harsh. But I have to admit that I have been thinking along these lines. I've long suspected that at least some of the people at my mass use it as a sort of emotional release. They lead empty, sad lives and look for the music to give them happy feelings they can't obtain anywhere else. Sure we're providing a good community service, but that should not be the primary reason they're going to Church. We've long justified ourselves by saying "Well at least we're getting them in here. The priests will take care of the rest." But if they're not really there mentally, then what's the point?

A selfish part of me does not ever want to give up what we do. We obviously enjoy it. For many periods in the last decade it has been my only musical outlet. But I guess that now that I've found another I am more willing to give this up if I have to, which is probably why my "faith" crisis happened around the same time that I got back into music. But more than the whole music thing what I would be even more unhappy about is letting down my community (or worse still to be ousted from it). They really love what we do.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, the problem is really bigger than us. Ideally what should happen is that the leader of our church should guide both the community and the music ministry (us) to the truth. If we are doing something which is really against doctrine then he should help us understand that and help us understand what we should be doing. At the same time he would have to explain to the people why the changes are occurring. And help them grow in their faith, without the use of a crutch.

But will that happen? Most likely not. Either no change will occur and we'll remain out of touch. Or we'll get ousted.

I have a lot of thinking to do over the Summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home