Pianero and Cachimbo Queen

Thursday, October 28, 2004

The End of an Era

Fueled by the momentum they gained from their tremendous comeback against the Yankees, the Boston Red Sox go on to win four more consecutive games and take the World Series for the first time since 1918. I guess it's safe to say that the Curse of the Bambino is now officially over. Rest in Peace, Babe Ruth.

Anyway, though I'm a die-hard Yankee fan I have to admit that I got a bit teary-eyed last night. It was just heartbreaking to hear all the stories about people who lived and died as Red Sox fans and never got to see them win. It was nice to see so many happy people on TV for a change.

How interesting that the talk before the series started was about all the power hitters in Boston, yet it was the pitching that brought them to victory. Those guys were all amazing. I have to give it to them. Congratulations! They deserve their victory.

So I was watching the coverage during the week and have to admit that I've gained some respect for Pedro. I never liked him because his attitude seemed so caustic and he seemed so arrogant. All along I had never heard him speaking and had heard that he didn't speak much English. However the other night after he pitched they interviewed him and I was pleasantly surprised. He spoke quite well in English. Used proper grammar, had a good vocabulary, and was easy to understand even with the accent. But even the accent was way less pronounced than what I was expecting. He must have taken it very seriously when he decided to learn the language. I think it takes a smart person to do that, so I guess he's more than just a good pitcher. Thumbs up for Pedro!

On that note I have to give thumbs down to Manny for his speaking. Maybe he was just excited about winning MVP, but wtf was his little speech about?? Yikes! He sounded very uneducated and thuggish. It was hard to follow his train of thought and he said "destination" when what he meant was "destiny". Oops. I think someone should read a few books during the break. Maybe it's just that I'm an incurable egghead, but if you're making that much money at least spend some of it on becoming more educated and well-rounded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home