Pianero and Cachimbo Queen

Thursday, October 21, 2004

While I'm at it

Regarding this whole Alex Rodriguez thing . . .

I was in DR this year when Felix Sanchez won the gold medal. Instead of being ecstatic about it, as I was, I would say that the majority of the people in the country were complaining about him not being a "real" Dominican. Now Alex is being branded a traitor and persona-non-grata because he didn't refer to himself as Dominican. But wait, isn't he not a real Dominican anyway?

All I can think is that there's just no way to win this one. Had he answered "Dominican Republic" then they'd all be saying that he only said it to boost his ratings or to score points with people, or whatever. I think this is pathetically sad.

The Alex thing was blown completely out of proportion. What would I answer if asked "where" I'm from? I'd probably say Washington Heights or New York City. "Where" signals to me that my answer should represent the geographical location of my birth. If I am asked "what" is my nationality or "what" am I? Then I'd say Dominican. Knowing the kind of identity issues one grows up with as a first-generation child, I'm sure that poor Alex in no way meant to belittle his roots with his comment.

Ay Dios mio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home